Enduracers Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enduracers Modding Team, the Official Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering lock values

Go down 
+7
urosl
klo-che
OlivierMDVY
Flaux
NightSt@lk3r
DeDios
mjmueller
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DeDios
Visiteur
DeDios

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Steering lock values Empty
PostSubject: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyTue 11 May - 13:16

Hi all, i have a question regarding steering lock value for Porsche RSR. Me and my friends we're discussing about and..we're searching an optimal value (and realistic) for this car. Actually imho best value is 18 degrees, using 540° steering wheel.
Have real car possibility to regulate it? or is a permanent value (not modifiable)?
thanks in advance :lol4:
Back to top Go down
Flaux
Visiteur
Flaux

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyTue 11 May - 21:01

I always use the factor of around 28. So I was using 13° @ 366° and now using 32° @ 900.

There was a big topic regarding the right steering lock @ rsc in the past. There I have those numbers from. Someone posted a big calcolation there *g*

So using 540°, I would use 19° ingame.

Thats another thing I would like to add. The wheel-lock ingame doesn't go up to 32° so I always have to fix it in the hdv which causes mismatches. That could be a good thing to improve.

Just my 2 cents...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Flaux1
NightSt@lk3r
Visiteur

Number of posts : 1203
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyTue 11 May - 21:22

I use 20 in all cars with my G25 set to 540.
Back to top Go down
DeDios
Visiteur
DeDios

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 12 May - 9:32

thanks really much guys :)

An another question: in real car this value (i mean steering lock) is adjustable (so can be variable in different tracks)?
Back to top Go down
mjmueller
Visiteur
mjmueller

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2006-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 12 May - 17:07

I have the Logitech Driving Force Pro & use 540 degrees with about 17 to 18 steering lock. I can't go 20 it's way to high for my wheel. Sometimes I even use 15 to 16 with Gt2 & gt1

mj
Back to top Go down
http://mjracing.com
DeDios
Visiteur
DeDios

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 12 May - 18:47

Thanks MJ :lol4: yes me too..i use 18 because 20 is too much high (i have a DFP too).
Anyway i'm just curious now if real Porsche RSR have adjustable steering lock; no idea about? if not i'll try to tell this at Sean Edwards, for sure it knows it :pilote:
Back to top Go down
klo-che
Admin
klo-che

Number of posts : 7807
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 19 May - 10:07

thread moved in the correct section.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enduracers.com
OlivierMDVY
Visiteur

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 8 Dec - 21:56

So I've read in the readme that the steering lock setting should be set at 18 degress and 270 for the wheel. Ok using these settings the wheel displayed in-game and my physical wheel move synchronized but if I try to use settings like 18 and 540 then the 'wheels' are not synchronized anymore.

So are these values not realistics?

Back to top Go down
NightSt@lk3r
Visiteur

Number of posts : 1203
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyWed 8 Dec - 22:04

I use 540, to get the wheels in sync you need to goto rFactor/UserData/profile/Controller.ini

and change this

Steering Wheel Range="540" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 8:34

Could someone be kind enough and explain to me (and us), why is the recommended degrees of rotation value set to 276° in the official readme? :)
Back to top Go down
MaD_King
EnduRacers beta test
MaD_King

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:04

urosl wrote:
Could someone be kind enough and explain to me (and us), why is the recommended degrees of rotation value set to 276° in the official readme? :)
Because ;)

For me I'm in 320 degrees and use the steering ratio at 12 or 13 in the car setup depends of the cars (Proto/GT)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gentlemen-racers.org/
Flaux
Visiteur
Flaux

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:21

I use 540° with a lock of min. 18°. But thats only when I don't get the setup right. Mainly I use 21° to keep the front tires alive and working...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Flaux1
klo-che
Admin
klo-che

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:25

You people should watch more race videos, real drivers never turn the wheel more then 360 degress (1 full) turn in modern cars. In most of cases it's even less.

You drive cars, not trucks !!!
Back to top Go down
OlivierMDVY
Visiteur

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:26

NightSt@lk3r wrote:
I use 540, to get the wheels in sync you need to goto rFactor/UserData/profile/Controller.ini

and change this

Thanks a lot, but is it the only way to modify this value? I mean, no possibility to modify it using the GUI?
Or is it possible to specify such setting for a specific car?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
OlivierMDVY
Visiteur

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:27

klo-che wrote:
You people should watch more race videos, real drivers never turn the wheel more then 360 degress (1 full) turn in modern cars. In most of cases it's even less.

So we should use for every car the 270 degrees setting?
Back to top Go down
klo-che
Admin
klo-che

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:30

OlivierMDVY wrote:
klo-che wrote:

So we should use for every car the 270 degrees setting?

it's up to you, your feeling, your setup, your impressions. What we show and say and diffuse are advices, nothing is mendatory, but that can help you. Make some test and see what you like the more.

In my case i setuped my steering wheel rotation to 360° maximum.
Back to top Go down
MaD_King
EnduRacers beta test
MaD_King

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:33

OlivierMDVY wrote:
NightSt@lk3r wrote:

and change this

Thanks a lot, but is it the only way to modify this value? I mean, no possibility to modify it using the GUI?
Or is it possible to specify such setting for a specific car?

Thanks
It's the only way and it's MANDATORY to synchronize driver wheel value with this controller value. Make it when rFactor not running
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 10:43

Anyway, what is the recommended steering lock value for 360° lock-to-lock setting? I also remember (the aforementioned) debate about correct steering lock/degrees of rotation settings @ RSC. Alas, it vanished with the update.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MaD_King
EnduRacers beta test
MaD_King

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 11:11

urosl wrote:
Anyway, what is the recommended steering lock value for 360° lock-to-lock setting? I also remember (the aforementioned) debate about correct steering lock/degrees of rotation settings @ RSC. Alas, it vanished with the update.

Thanks!
About 14, I think it's depend when you want to feel the understeer point in your wheel (close to 360° or before 360°). If you put more ratio, like 16/17, you will feel the underteer before arriving to the 360°, perhaps about 300°, so it's depend on your feeling and values.
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 11:27

Ok, thanks (for now). Might I ask how you came by those values (i.e. how to calculate them)? I really miss that topic @ RSC, as everything was explained to the detail there.
Thanks for you effort, mate. :jap:
Back to top Go down
MaD_King
EnduRacers beta test
MaD_King

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 11:36

urosl wrote:
Ok, thanks (for now). Might I ask how you came by those values (i.e. how to calculate them)? I really miss that topic @ RSC, as everything was explained to the detail there.
Thanks for you effort, mate. :jap:
To calculate them, you need the real steering ratio of the real cars, and this is not available. The best way to put the good values is like I indicated, choose you prefered maximum wheel range (3xx degrees) and put it in your driver + controller.ini, and after this put the ratio that lead to have the understeer point in your wheel at the moment you prefer (close to the max of your wheel limit or a little bit before by increasing the ratio).
Back to top Go down
Ar Br
Visiteur
Ar Br

Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 12:31

I use 12.5 in all cars (GT2 and GT1) with my G25 set to 540.
Back to top Go down
Pandamasque
Visiteur
Pandamasque

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 13:26

klo-che wrote:

They do. Even F1 cars have about 450 (for Monaco at least). GT cars definitely have 540. Normally they use about 360 for hairpin-like turns (like Westbrook here in the chicane of Spa), but always have a little bit extra left in case of a spin, or a narrow pitlane.
Apparently it's a bit less than than for prototypes.

I usually don't bother changing the lock on the wheel itself but just change the ratio in car setup when going from one car class to another.
Back to top Go down
MaD_King
EnduRacers beta test
MaD_King

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptyThu 9 Dec - 13:43

Pandamasque wrote:
klo-che wrote:

They do. Even F1 cars have about 450 (for Monaco at least). GT cars definitely have 540. Normally they use about 360 for hairpin-like turns (like Westbrook here in the chicane of Spa), but always have a little bit extra left in case of a spin, or a narrow pitlane.
Apparently it's a bit less than than for prototypes.

I usually don't bother changing the lock on the wheel itself but just change the ratio in car setup when going from one car class to another.
The problem is our simulation wheels diameter is smaller than several real wheels and so, the arms movements are not equal to arrives to the full range ;) So we have to adapt the wheel rotation value too to be comfortable and logical.
Back to top Go down
miRko74
Visiteur
miRko74

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values EmptySat 11 Dec - 14:30

MaD_King wrote:

To calculate them, you need the real steering ratio of the real cars, and this is not available...

Congratulations for this great mod, the best rfactor mod ever made imho!

But, just curiosity: if you don't have access to this kind of real cars data, how did you make the mod?
Thank you.

Mirko, Italy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering lock values   Steering lock values Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering lock values
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next