Enduracers Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enduracers Modding Team, the Official Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
QoelQast
Visiteur

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? Empty
PostSubject: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptySun 12 Dec - 22:48

Hello,

I added this mod to a rFactor Lite installation which you can find on rfactorcentral.com and I need a Desktop icon for it.
Is it possible to add an official .ICO-file to the mod? Or release it on this forum?

Update: urosl has made a nice icon which you can find here! (Thanks, urosl!)

The main reason why I installed this mod as "Standalone" is because it will start significantly faster. It will also be alot easier to make seperate realfeel and input configurations for the mod and will cause less problems (restarts, bugs,...) with other mods.

Here's a mini-howto on installing as standalone: (this will require a new activation)
  1. Download rFactor Lite ;
  2. Install rFactor in a custom folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Enduracers and don't add shortcuts ;
  3. Download the newest version of the Endurance Series mod (! Choose the FULL version) ;
  4. Install Endurance Series mod to the custom folder made in step 2 ;

Follow steps 5-6 below if you already have a FULL rFactor installation.
  5. Locate "GameData\Locations" in your custom folder and delete it ;
  6. Open Command Prompt as Administrator and make a folder junction with the following command:
    Code:
    MKLINK /J "Source" "Destination"
    e.g. MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Enduracers\GameData\Locations" "C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Locations"
    Now you've made a folder which links directly to your rFactor tracks*. This will help you to save a large amount of harddisk space if you have a huge number of tracks installed, because you won't have to copy them into the Endurance series mod folder! ;

7. Locate "rFactor.exe" in your custom folder and create a desktop shortcut ;
  8. Enjoy the game!

*Note that you can make junctions for other folders too, but don't do that unless you really know what you're doing

Last edited by QoelQast on Wed 15 Dec - 9:37; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptySun 12 Dec - 23:57

Thanks for this little guide, it might be useful in the future. :salut:
Back to top Go down
coturnix
Visiteur

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyMon 13 Dec - 8:55

I would love a custom icon for this mod :bravo:
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyMon 13 Dec - 10:33

BTW, do we also need the sound pack (with rF lite) or are the mod standalone sounds enough? :lol4:

PS. And how to make the "mklink" in Win XP? :jap:

PPS. Got it, with linkd > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524/en-us
Back to top Go down
QoelQast
Visiteur

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyMon 13 Dec - 12:35

urosl wrote:
BTW, do we also need the sound pack (with rF lite) or are the mod standalone sounds enough?
Haven't had any problems so far, all working. If you find a problem post it here, please!

Last edited by QoelQast on Mon 13 Dec - 19:18; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Quote correction)
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyMon 13 Dec - 16:45

Yeah, me neither. But still, rF lite users need this this file to exchange (fix) the continuous wheel guns rumble with the usual crowd cheering > click!

Just put the file in your rFactor\GameData\Sounds\Ambient folder and overwrite the previous one.

Cheers! :lol4:
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyTue 14 Dec - 20:24

Here it is (the icon!), quickly made but it does the job.

http://ul.to/tfg7i3

3 resolutions included - 32x32, 48x48 and 256x256 (for dock software if you're using one). I'll make a better version when I find the time. Probably tomorrow, a couple of different ones for good measure. :)
Back to top Go down
QoelQast
Visiteur

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyWed 15 Dec - 9:30

Thanks for the icon, looks much better now ! Will add it to first post!
Back to top Go down
coturnix
Visiteur

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyWed 15 Dec - 10:43

QoelQast wrote:

Here's a mini-howto on installing as standalone: (this will require a new activation)

Are you sure the above method consumes one activation? I have 21 different installs of Rfactor Lite on my computer (one per mod) and they all were installed one after another. If it asked for an activation i should have run out of them quite fast.
Back to top Go down
urosl
Visiteur
urosl

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? EmptyWed 15 Dec - 11:48

OK, I've made a final version which suits my personal needs. Played around with the colour tones a bit and it worked out really well.

http://www.box.net/shared/45aglbctxl

:salut:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?   Desktop icon for "Standalone Install"  ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Desktop icon for "Standalone Install" ?
Page 1 of 1